I love watching cooking programs to find inspiration and an excuse to head to the market to get ingredients for a new dish. I have to say, even I find it a little strange, that going to the market is one of my favorite things to do. I suppose it is the same as a fashionista going to the department store or a motorcycle rider (i.e. the Husband) going to a motorcycle retailer. So, I guess, maybe, it isn’t that strange after all, right?
There is a program on the Cooking channel called ‘Easy Chinese’ and I love this show. The host is a lady name Ching-He who is from Taiwan and has been cooking around the world. On one of her episodes she was cooking with the perfect balance of Yin and Yang. She made this beef salad that she called ‘Yang-Yang Crispy Beef’ and it looked delicious. So, I hopped in the car and off I went to Ranch 99.
Here is the most wonderful recipe for a sweet and sour crispy beef salad.
What you will need:
1 lb of sirloin steak
1/2 c sweet chili sauce
2 T light soy sauce
2 T rice wine vinegar
1 orange, zest (for garnish) and juice
1 romaine head, shredded
green onions for garnish
peanut oil or vegetable oil for frying
What you will do:
1. Prep your salad goodies. Shred the romaine, wash and spin dry and set aside. Slice cucumber in half(lengthwise), remove the seeds and cut in half-moon shapes. Chop green onions and set aside.
2. Tenderize and flatten the sirloin steak to about 1/4 inch thick. Slice beef in thin strips against the grain. In a bowl, coat beef with cornstarch. The amount of cornstarch you use will depend on your beef. You are looking for an even coating and dry beef.
3. Bring oil to 350 degrees F. When oil is to temp, carefully drop in some of the beef pieces in small batches. Shake off any excess cornstarch before frying. Cook until crispy and golden brown and remove to some kitchen towel. Sprinkle with salt as soon as the beef comes out of the oil. Repeat this step until all the beef is cooked.
4. In a wok, add the sweet chili sauce, soy sauce and orange juice and bring to a boil. You want the sauce to reduce and get nice and sticky and glossy. When the sauce has reduced by about half add the beef and toss to coat. CLICK HERE for a short video of the glaze being reduced.
5. Arrange romaine and cucumbers on a serving tray and sprinkle rice wine vinegar on the lettuce. Place the beef on top of the lettuce and garnish with the orange zest and green onions. Toss the salad right before you serve.
TIP: For a lighter and slightly healthier version you could use coconut oil to brown the beef in a saute pan instead of deep-frying. This will cut down on the amount of oil being used.
It is a gorgeous salad and so tasty. However, I have yet to master making just enough for the Husband and I. I seem to think I am feeding an army. So, even after we both had a few servings there was still some salad left over. The next day, I toasted some pita bread and added the remaining salad. It was so delicious!!!! Leftover crisis averted!
I hope you try this super easy and super delicious Sweet and Sour Crispy Beef Salad. I will be making this again at some time in the near future.
Cheers and happy eating!
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog through the web version of my site or you can email me to sign up at email@example.com